One cannot think well,
love well, sleep well,
if one has not dined well.
The quaint and historic town of Russell area has a variety of fantastic eateries serving local produce and fresh seafood.
- One of the oldest buildings in Russell, the Gables is listed with the Historic Places Trust and offers fine dining dishes designed to showcase New Zealand and particularly the far north’s outstanding produce along with sea views.
- Hone’s Garden serves up wood fired pizzas, burgers and salads in a unique sheltered garden bar amongst palm trees. Open all summer.
- New Zealand’s first liquor licence was granted to John Johnson of the Duke of Marlborough Hotel in Kororāreka in 1840. Located right on the waterfront in Russell, the Duke of Marlborough now serves up delectable delights for lunch and dinner. The menu showcases locally sourced seasonal produce, presenting a new take on classic favourites.
- A trip to the seaside would not be complete without fish and chips! Try Crusty Crab or the Duke of Marlborough Tavern for this kiwi classic.
- Taste Russell’s international offerings at the Tuk Tuk Thai or Spice Route Indian Restaurants, both offering amazing flavours at great value.
- There are two wineries in Russell which both produce great wines and are located in picturesque settings. The family owned, boutique Paroa Bay Winery offers tastings of their distinctive, handcrafted wines in a tranquil setting amid the hills. They are really passionate and knowledgeable about wine. Omata Estate offers mouthwatering pizzas and platters, as well as wine, with stunning views over the bay.
Curious Kiwi Café
Relax, enjoy the surroundings and take the day off cooking without leaving the park.
The Curious Kiwi Cafe is conveniently located by the reception and offers a range of simple but tasty classics. Serving local coffee from Tohora Trading Co, tea, hot chocolate, milkshakes, cookies, muffins & paninis. Or you can enjoy a mouth watering selection of some of the best gourmet burgers in town. Paired with a side of hot chips it will satisfy any appetite.
The kids are happy too with a kid size burger & curly fries. Top it off with a milkshake or a fluffy and there will be no more “but I don’t like it”!
Opening dates and hours are:
Labour Weekend, Boxing Day through to the end of January and Easter.
7 am to 11 am and 5 pm to 9 pm daily